Timothy Murphy School (TMS) in San Rafael, CA is currently looking for a post-degree, pre-licensed therapist with a PhD or PsyD in psychology to join our clinical team as a Registered Psychologist. Clinical supervision will be provided by a licensed psychologist on-site and all clinical hours may be applied towards licensure as a psychologist in California. This will be a part-time position, working from 8:30-3:30 four days of the week, for an average of 28 hours per week. The position begins on June 19, 2017 and a monthly stipend is available.
Timothy Murphy School is a nonsectarian non-public school for students who struggle to access their education due to significant emotional disturbances and behavioral challenges. The majority of our students are placed due to symptoms deriving from early childhood trauma and disruption of the attachment system. TMS clinicians therefore need to be familiar with the psychology and treatment of these conditions.
Our program is built upon the ARC system (Attachment, Regulation, and Competency), with the book Treating Traumatic Stress in Children and Families (Blaustein & Kinniburgh, 2010) acting as our core treatment manual. The ARC model informs individual treatment, our social-emotional competency groups, and the school’s general behavior support program. The Registered Psychologist will be expected to become highly familiar with the ARC system and to provide clinical interventions based on its principles.
The Registered Psychologist plays an important role in the TMS clinical team and the school as a whole. This position provides a broad range of opportunities for both clinical experience and professional development.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Provide psychotherapy to individual students between the ages of 8 and 18.
Caseload will hover around 7-9 clients.
- Co-facilitate our bi-weekly social-emotional competency groups.
- Provide delegated supervision to an MFT trainee.
- Develop and present psychoeducational workshops for all TMS staff.
- Generate psychoeducational reports and Behavior Intervention Plans.
- Provide consultation services to school staff and parents/guardians.
- Participate in Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the clinical supervisor or school director.
- Awarded PhD or PsyD from an APA-accredited graduate program in clinical psychology.
- Experience providing individual mental health services to children, preferably with a focus on trauma and attachment-based issues.
- Experience with psychological testing, preferably with children.
- The capacity to remain calm, focused, and professional when faced with unexpected behavioral challenges.
- Familiarity with the principles of operant conditioning as they apply to human behavior.
- Experience working within a school environment is a plus.
Applicants will need to submit a CV, proof of graduation (e.g. informal graduate transcripts or diploma), three letters of recommendation, a de-identified psychological assessment report, and a letter of interest. Please mail your application to Dr. Ash Bowie at Timothy Murphy School, 1 St. Vincent Drive, San Rafael, CA, 94903. Or you may email the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Timothy Murphy School is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.