—Evelyn Clancy, TMS Director
Timothy Murphy School was founded in 1985 as a nonsectarian non-public school for special education students who struggle to access their education due to significant emotional disturbances and behavioral challenges. TMS proudly serves residents of the St. Vincent’s therapeutic home for boys as well as day students from Marin County, San Francisco, and other districts in the Bay Area. We have separate classrooms for our elementary, middle school, and high school students ranging from 1st to 12th grade.
To promote academic progress, positive socialization, and therapeutic healing within a structured, safe, and caring educational environment.
The mission of TMS is to encourage students with significant emotional and behavioral challenges to fulfill their educational potential. We help them to develop the ability to regulate emotions and manage behaviors, increase the focus and resilience necessary to complete assignments, and form healthy, stable relationships with peers and adults. To accomplish this, we utilize a combination of positive behavior management, social-emotional skills acquisition, and professional therapeutic treatment.
1) Provide an individualized educational program for each student emphasizing active learning with an overall emphasis on academic achievement.
2) Provide a therapeutic environment that can help students develop the capability to regulate their behavior, maintain focus and resilience, and form healthy, trusting relationships.
3) Provide opportunities for our students to develop life skills and acquire pragmatic knowledge that will help them become responsible, successful adults.
We place a strong value on academics and strive to help every TMS student access his education. The curriculum is adapted to address specific areas of need as identified in a student’s Individual Education Program (IEP). We are able to provide programs for students to earn a high school diploma or a certificate of completion. Learn more about our academic program.
We also strive to provide a comprehensive school-wide program to address problematic behaviors as well as give our students opportunities to grow and develop. To these ends, TMS offers the following services in addition to our academic program:
Timothy Murphy School is an independent nonsectarian non-profit 501(c)3 tax exempt Educational Organization.
- Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN): #68-0058882
- Corporate ID: #1242526
- Board of Equalization (BOE) Organizational Clearance Certificate: #15190