Timothy Murphy School is a nonsectarian non-public school for students who struggle to access their education due to significant emotional disturbances and behavioral challenges. We were founded in 1985 in San Rafael, California. TMS proudly serves residents of the St. Vincent’s therapeutic home for boys as well as day students from Marin County, San Francisco, and other districts in the Bay Area. We have separate classrooms for our elementary, middle school, and high school students ranging from 1st to 12th grade.
While learning lies at the heart of what we do, our primary mission at TMS is to help our students access their education through a combination of skills acquisition, behavior management, and therapeutic treatment. In short, our core mission is to help them learn how to be successful students—to regulate their emotions and manage their behaviors, to develop the focus and resilience necessary to complete assignments, and to form healthy, stable relationships with peers and adults. Our aim is to help every student master these essential aspects of school life so they can succeed in any academic environment.
1) Provide an individualized educational program for each student emphasizing active learning with an overall emphasis on academic achievement.
2) Provide a therapeutic environment that can help students develop the capability to regulate their behavior, maintain focus and resilience, and form healthy, trusting relationships.
3) Provide opportunities for our students to develop life skills and acquire pragmatic knowledge that will help them become responsible, successful adults.
We place a strong value on academics and strive to help every TMS student access his education. The curriculum is adapted to address specific areas of need as identified in a student’s Individual Education Program (IEP). We are able to provide programs for students to earn a high school diploma or a certificate of completion. Learn more about our academic program.
We also strive to provide a comprehensive school-wide program to address problematic behaviors as well as give our students opportunities to grow and develop. To these ends, TMS offers the following services in addition to our academic program:
Timothy Murphy School is an independent nonsectarian non-profit 501(c)3 tax exempt Educational Organization.
- Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN): #68-0058882
- Corporate ID: #1242526
- Board of Equalization (BOE) Organizational Clearance Certificate: #15190